Dr. Christine W. Sindt is a 1994 graduate of The Ohio State University College of Optometry. She completed a disease-based residency at the Cleveland Veterans Administration Medical Center. Dr. Sindt joined the faculty of the University of Iowa Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences in 1995, where she is currently the director of the contact lens service and professor of clinical ophthalmology. She also serves as a consultant optometrist for the Iowa City Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center. Dr. Sindt holds 7 US patents and has over 150 publications. She regularly travels to conferences, both nationally and internationally. She has had numerous funded research grants; her current research projects include elevation specific scleral lens design, higher order aberration control on contact lenses, ocular health associated with scleral lenses, and smart contact lenses.
Awards and Recognition:
- 2019 National Keratoconus Foundation names her “Top Doc” of the year and the Scleral Lens Society Scleral Lens Practitioner of the Year.
- 2017 Theia Award of Excellence for innovation
- 2016 Top 30 Most Influential in Contact Lenses in the Last 30 Years by the Contact Lens Spectrum
- 2013 Legends Award from the American Optometric Association’s Contact Lens and Cornea Section
- 2011 Practitioner of the Year by the Contact Lens Manufacturers Association
- 2010 AOA Cornea and Contact Lens Council Chair
- Rodger Kame Award
- Past president and founding member of Women in Vision
- Past president and co-founder of the Scleral Lens Education Society
- Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry
- Member of the Gas Permeable Lens Institute Advisory Panel
Dr. Sindt is the chief clinical editor for Review of Optometry and has served as associate editor for Review of Cornea and Contact Lens, an Optometry Times editorial advisory board member, and as a contributing editor for Contact Lens Spectrum. She also serves a peer reviewer for several ophthalmologic journals.